Sunday, May 31, 2009

Blob, Wedding Frenzie and The Word

Yesterday was yet again, a very long day. This one was especially long. We have a family weekend camp here and they had some activities open for the day. I am the only waterfront person at the moment who is actually lifeguard certified, so I was on the blob the whole day. I was up there from 10-12:30 and then again from 1ish-5:00. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had a decently steady flow of people, but got a couple breaks to read and stuff as well, so that was nice. It was a lot of repeating myself, as usual. Telling every person the same thing of what they're going to do. And of course as I am telling them for the third time that they need to land on their butt they land on their feet, and then they tell me they forgot. Oh well, no one got hurt yesterday, so that was good. After a long day on the blob, my day wasn't even half over. One of the property staff guys, Shawn, got married yesterday and the reception was at Lake Champion and all the interns helped out. We first had to serve the family camp people food at 5:30, then the reception started at 7. Mad chaos. So I ate dinner really fast and then we had to do pits, which is cleaning all the dishes. We helped out in the kitchen for a while and then had to run back and change into nice clothes because we were out on the floor for the reception refilling drinks and hors D'Oeuvres and things like that.
This is Matt. me and Crist (EMT intern). I was sitting on Lisa's lap, but you can't see her. Four people on the EZ-go - totally illegal. We were rushing to the reception though!
Me and Lisa in our white tops and black bottoms for the reception!
The reception and everything was really fun. It was busy and we were running around all night, but I enjoyed it. It was the busy, but really productive kind of craziness, which I love. Your running around for forever, but your getting so much done and the things you are doing are actually worth while. Those are the times I kick into my productive mood, and I really enjoy it. It made for a really really long day though.
The new dining hall looked really good though. You can't really tell in this picture, but it was pretty. It definitely got me thinking about a reception at Lake Champion. It is my favorite place in the world. I don't know, we'll see about that.
These are the people who were so awesome and got the gross job of doing pits. Sam, Chocklett, Lisa and Krissa(ropes intern). Krissa just got here last night and now our group is finally complete! All the interns are here.

Once the reception was over we had to do pits again, tear everything down and set it up for breakfast for this morning. There were a lot of people working together and figuring everything out, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Everyone had really good attitudes and we were all working really hard. It was one of those times when you have to get stuff done whether you want to or not, so you might as well make it fun! We were finally done around 12:30ish and then I went in the hot tub with a couple other interns. It was so nice to just relax. I had the day off today, so I was able to sleep in. I am so proud of myself, I slept in until 10. I was excited.

I got up and was able to really spend some quality time with the Lord. I didn't have to watch the time to get to work and it was really nice. I journaled and read my devotional and wrote down scripture. I'm really wanting to dive into the word this summer. I just started a journal of Bible verses and I'm going to write them down every time the Lord reveals something to me through his word. I'm really excited about it and even just this morning found a verse in Psalms that resonated so well with me. It was just how I was feeling yesterday when I decided to do this and what I had journaled about. It is Psalm 119:9-16
"How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Praise be to you, O Lord;
teach me your decrees.
With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.
I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word."
There is just so much in these verses. We live a pure life when we live our lives according to his word. The psalmist says he has hidden the word in his heart so that he may not sin against God. Memorizing scripture is key. When we memorize scripture those words and those truths are engraved into our hearts and we can lean on them, instead of leaning on our fleshly desires. And I love how the psalmist says that he rejoices in following the statutes and laws of the Bible. They are not restrictions or boundaries; they are true freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment