Thursday, May 28, 2009

Study Study Study

Okay, so I'm actually still not done catching up. (I'm gonna go day by day) So as a waterfront intern, one of my jobs is to drive the boats for tubing. This is something I'm excited about because as a camper here, it was where I lived. I absolutely love to go tubing and am really excited about giving campers that experience. But in order for me to be able to do this, I have to have a New York state public vessel license. This is not just any ordinary boat license, it's for driving commercial boats. And the test is really hard. I had to know a whole notebook of information, and after finishing school, taking another test was the last thing I wanted to think about. Because this is a hard core commercial driving license, it wasn't a typical boating safety exam. I had to know all sorts of things like bulge pumps and what size boat needed what kind and how many, all sorts of lifejackets, bouys, fires as well as what size boat needs to have a fixed bell on it. Anyway, it was a crazy test on a bunch of information we don't need to know at all, but becasue New York has the craziest laws ever, we had to take it. Monday after NYC I went straight to Bob's house (my boss) and we had a study session. We did the same on Tuesday. It was really overwhelming. You know how I am with tests. They consume me, and I HAD to pass this one! I studied a lot. On Wednesday Brian (on Guest Services), Bob, Lisa and I all went to Albany to take the test. It was about a 2.5 hour drive. Well, we ALL passed! Which is seriously a miracle. I can officially drive a tug boat or commercial ferry. Wahoo! It was really hard, and I didn't do well on it by any means, but I passed, and thats all that counts. This was on our way to Albany.
So we came back happy and got to drive the boats! Bob, Lisa and I went out on the lake and drove around a little bit. It was so much fun. I love being on the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment