Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lake Champion

I am here! It's been quite a journey which the Lord has taught me a lot through, but I am here, at probably my favorite place in the world. I got to Lake Champion two days ago and I've loved every second of being here. My beyond fantastic dad sacrificed many hours and a sore body to get me here. He first drove from Virginia to Michigan to come get me. That ride is a killer. Then the next day after my exam, he helped carry many boxes as I packed up and we got in the car to come here to New York. We drove about half way and spent the night. Then he got up, got back in the car for a third time and brought me to camp. We took a detour for some fantastic ice cream and I got to camp around 2:30ish. We unloaded my things and then he got back in the car for a fourth time to go back to Virginia. I think he went and picked my mom up in Richmond and then drove home. What an amazing dad! He spent three days driving to make things work out for me. He is so great.


Day one consisted of meeting the other interns, unpacking, eating dinner, finishing some things up for school and a bon fire which the guys made. It's been really great getting to know the interns and just hanging out before our summers get crazy.

All the interns live in Hawk's Nest. The guys rooms are on the first floor and the girls are all upstairs. We have 5 rooms and two girls in each room. We also have a bathroom, a "kitchen" which has a refridgerator, sink, toaster and microwave. It also has our laundry in there as well, and we also have just a room with couches and a phone that I've enjoyed for my morning devotionals. There is a large hang out area on the first floor with a bunch of comfy couches where we all hang out a lot. It's really fun, I love living in community!

This is my room, I share it with a girl named Annie. She is an AM cook, so we'll both be getting up early in the morning. Gotta love those 5:45 mornings at camp! All to serve those campers with excellence. I can't wait for them to get here! Anyway, this is our room, my bed is on the right. I brought my foam padding for my bed and my comforter and I'm so glad I did! The beds here are pretty hard and it gets really cold at night. Their really narrow beds too, but I've been sleeping fine.
Yesterday was my first day working and we got a lot done. I worked the whole day with my boss, Bob, who is really great. We took the dock over to the adult guest house and got everything situated over there. We secured the dock and cleaned the canoes and brought them down and did some other misc. things. Then we put the blob in, which was much more work than we expected. The lake here freezes over in the winter and so they have to take everything off the lake. All the docks and boey lines and everything. So we blew the blob up and got it in the water and spent like three or four hours getting the blob and boey line situated. We were in a little motor boat and Bob would drive the boat towards an anchor that we attached to the blob (3 on each side) I would grab the rope and with all my strength try to pull the anchor off the bottom of the lake while he put the boat in reverse so we could move the blob. The anchors are 5 lb buckets full of concrete, so it was quite an exhausting job. That is mostly what work consisted of yesterday. We then had dinner and afterwards I played my first round of frisbee golf ever. I know, crazy. I've been at Lake Champion so many times, and I've never played. It was really fun. Then we all came back and hung out at Hawk's Nest and played games. Lisa also came yesterday. She is the other waterfront intern and I'm really excited about working with her. I think we'll get along and work really well together.
Today consisted of lots of cleaning, more blob manuvering, lifeguarding and getting a bit burned. Lisa and I completely cleaned and organized the pool house which was very needed. We got things all cleaned up and ready for the summer. After lunch we monkeyed around with the blob again trying to get things set up right and then we opened it for some of the campers that are here. The people here aren't here for Young Life camp, their a different group just using the camp. (Young Life campers come at the beginning of June.) But I was up on the blob tower lifeguarding, doing my typical job and loving it. It was fun to have the interaction with the campers and get back in the swing of things for guarding. I got a bit of sun on my back while I was up there, but I had sunscreen on and it doesn't really hurt. We had dinner and played a round of frisbee golf again. It was fun, but not as fun as yesterday cause me and my partner didn't win and I played terribly, but oh well :)

I love this camp. Whenever I am here I just sense the presence of the Lord. The people are all so great and everyone is just so loving. I'm really excited to see what God does this summer. It is all in His hands and He has to be the one to work all the details out. I am learning to trust Him and trust in His ways, since they are so much higher than my ways. I also was reminded this morning that I have to be dependent on Him for all of my needs. He is way more than enough for me, and I never have any reason to doubt that. He is my everything and I want my life to scream out His glorious name!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for blogs! Thrilled to be getting updates from you. I won't mention how jealous I am about your exposure to sun. =) Ah, rainy, cold Wales is good for my soul. Contentment in the Gospel alone!

    Praying for you and your time there: that Jesus Christ would become more precious to you as the cross becomes more beautiful. The good news is such a scandal-- oh what grace!!!

    BIG LOVE from across the pond!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you really take in and enjoy this summer because it will definitely be one of the best of your life! =) What a fun idea to blog about it! =)

    ReplyDelete