Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Rivers, Tents and Fellowship

(sorry I have a ton of catching up to do!) (I've been working on this one post in chunks of time over the last week)

(Last)Monday and Tuesday were a ton of fun! Monday we woke up and went canoeing down the Delaware River. The river was running really fast and it was really fun.

Alli, Lisa, Anna, and Brittany!
Jeremy (property staff), Charlie, Doug, Sam and Derrick

There were definitely quite a few parts that were rough and had rapids. We all got wet, but it was a ton of fun. Two canoes tipped in the rapids. I had my camera with me in my back pack and was just praying it wouldn't get ruined (it didn't!). We were canoeing in the middle of rolling green hills and it was gorgeous outside. It was fantastic.
How gorgeous is God's creation!?! It was absolutely amazing!
Krissa and Doug in the background, then Sam and Chocklett
Chocklett and I were in a canoe together and I was able to share with him what God did in my life in the past year. It was really awesome to look back and see God's hand at work and his amazing faithfulness. He is such a faithful God and I am utterly dependent on him. We canoed down the river and then got out and had a picnic lunch.

Sam, Chocklett, Brittany and Krissa!
It was so amazing to be in such a beautiful atmosphere and surrounded by awesome people. I am so excited about our intern group this summer and the beginning of the week was a great time for all of us to hang out and unify as a group. Canoeing didn't take as long as it should have because the river was running so fast. We came back to camp and had about 2.5 hours until we were going to leave to go camping. We all put in a movie and took a nap. It was fantastic.
Later we went camping right around the corner at a campground that basically never gets used. We were the only ones there and it was really fun to just get off camp together as a group. We just hung out, played games, and talked by the fire. We had burgers and hot dogs for dinner and of course made s'mores. (above is Kyle making the burgers. He is one of my favorite people ever!) We also shot off some fireworks that were left over from the wedding. It was such a great time to just get to know the other interns better and hang out as a whole group before the summer starts. Cause once camp starts, we will all have completely different schedules. It was so good to hang out and fellowship together.

Waterfront at it's best! Love this girl!
We left the camp ground pretty early the next morning and I basically had meetings all day. We met as the interns for a really long time. It was so good though. We were informed about our role with our summer staffers and interacting with the assignment team and everything like that. It was really helpful. We also went over the basics for camp and our vision for this summer. It definitely got me pumped up for campers to come. We also spent a while talking as a group about living in community. We talked about what we wanted our community to look like, how we wanted to be remembered and what we were going to do in order to make that happen. I love just putting things out there like that. The meetings were all really long, but I actually really enjoyed them. I had been waiting for a time for all of us to be together and focus on what it is that we are doing, what our purpose is and why we are here. We are all here for the thousands of campers that are coming this summer. We all want to love on and change the lives of high schoolers. I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. WAHOO! Oh, I'm stoked for you, Joy! I love that you come up with lists and goals-- I've learned this last year, that's very American. =) I miss it!

    Reading your blog makes me so grateful for the interns of the SIX YL camps I went to. I never even met them, but their service was huge in transforming my relationship with the LORD.

    Thank you for what you're doing!!! (Let us know how we can pray for you.)

    ReplyDelete