Saturday, February 27, 2010

Peace in the midst of Chaos

This past week was crazy. Now I am typically a very busy person, but this week, was insane. The past three days I've only been at my apartment to sleep, and now that I think about it, that was the case for almost every day this week, with the exceptions of a few dinners here.

I started student teaching this week! It has been a ton of fun. I am student teaching with the Ready for Life Academy which actually meets on Calvin's campus. It is awesome. Ready for Life (RFL) is a transitional program for college age students with disabilities. I am only one week in, but I am really enjoying it. It is definitely different from a typical classroom setting, but I know I will learn a lot and I have already loved getting to know the students. It has been really fun, but is certainly time consuming. Adding in full time work to the two sports schedule has been interesting.

The Lord has continued to teach me in this "waiting season." I trust him and I trust his will. I am also ready for it to be over. Just sitting in the unknown is hard. I will find out on Thursday or Friday about diving, and I'm not sure when about track. (more details on track to come)Now that I think of it, maybe it is a huge blessing that I've been so busy. It has definitely made the waiting more bearable. I'm so busy I don't have time to think about it.

I won't bore you with the schedule of my week, but I had student teaching, practice and a night event every day this week. The past three days have been especially crazy. Thursday I left my apartment at 5:50am and got back a little after 8:30pm. Friday I left at 5:30am and got back around 9:30pm. Today I left at 6:40am and got back at 9:30pm. Thursday was full of three practices, student teaching and a scholarship dinner to raise money for Ready for Life (where I'm student teaching). Friday I went to Chicago for the day to do a Chicago Semester Visit. I'm planning on doing my elementary student teaching in Chicago next semester. It was really fun, but an extremely long day. We visited some schools and talked about the program. We then drove back in a blizzard, which is always fun when your extremely tired and have a track meet the next day. Today was the track meet.

It went well. Not spectacular, but I was happy. I had a TON of fun! So that is always good. I felt great and was jumping well. I put the bar at 12 feet, 1 and 1/2 inches and was SO close to clearing it! I had the height, but didn't turn and knocked the bar down with my shoulder. (bad form) But I jumped well and got on a bigger pole, which is always a good thing in vaulting, so that was great. It's not what I was hoping for, but I definitely can't complain. I absolutely love pole vaulting! I can't even explain it. I had so much fun today! It didn't go as planned, but I just have to trust the Lord and his will. Pray that my coach will let me go to a last chance meet next weekend! It would give me one more shot to get to Nationals, and I know I can do it! But he's not sure he wants us going.

Through all of this chaos the Lord has been with me. He has walked every step by my side and I am so grateful for that. Last Sunday I was really overwhelmed with what this week looked like, but I got through it and actually had a blast. The Lord has been teaching me to choose joy throughout my day. Yes it is a lot, and yes there is always more, but I am learning to enjoy and love what I am doing at that moment. And I can only say that because of the Lord. It is his strength and peace that get me through. He is my comfort and source of refuge. He is my peace amongst chaos. And honestly, I am able to be saying all of this, not only through my prayers, but mainly because of my mother's prayers. Mom's prayers are amazing and so powerful! Moms - pray for your kids! It will change their lives. Thanks mom for your continued prayers and the way you allow the Holy Spirit to work! Love you!

1 comment: