Saturday, February 20, 2010

No matter what the circumstances...

The Lord just keeps teaching me new things through my sports. That's where he really gets me. He gets my attention there and when I'm diving or pole vaulting, that is where I feel the Lord's presence. I do in other areas of my life as well, but when I'm doing sports, I'm worshiping. I am so thankful that the Lord has brought me on this journey. Doing sports as worship was something that people around me would just talk about. They would say it could be done and leave it at that. No one ever seemed to dive into, "what does that look like?" The Lord continues to teach me and grow me through sports. I love them! I really really do. If you couldn't tell. I find so much joy in diving and pole vaulting!

Over the last week there are quite a few things God has taught me or revealed to me through sports. The first is: that I'm really bad at being patient. Okay, I already knew that, but this whole waiting game thing for diving and being so close in pole vaulting has been really hard. And it all comes back to trust. Do I really trust that God knows what he's doing? Do I really trust that his will will be done? Do I really trust that he is in control? Well of course I do. I know it, but I don't always have my eyes set on him. I just have to trust. I have to believe that he knows the outcome and it is part of his plan. My job is to trust.

This is going to be a huge thing for me this week and next weekend. Next Saturday I have my last opportunity to improve my spot on the Nationals list. I'm gonna need to clear at least 12 feet. Which I can do. I know I can do it. I've done it in practice, I just have to make it work in the meet. But since I only have one opportunity left, my head freaks out and makes a huge deal out it. I get stressed and anxious. I want it so bad! But then I have to remember to trust. The Lord knows how bad I want it and he knows what the outcome is. When I get this perspective, I can vault because I love it; because I'm having fun. It takes away the stress of trying to qualify when I know that the Lord knows what is going to happen and he is in control. If he doesn't want me to make, then I absolutely don't want to. He knows what he is doing and he has such a huge understanding, while my understanding is so small. He is in control and through knowing that, I can rest in peace. I do not have to be anxious or stressed. I can be patient and wait upon the Lord.

The other thing that the Lord has been teaching me that I was able to apply to vaulting yesterday was worshiping the Lord and blessing his name in all circumstances. Earlier this week I was told a story where a couple in a time of crisis with an unborn baby didn't sit and pray for healing, but prayed for the Lord's will. The wife prayed, "Lord no matter what happens in this situation, I will bless your name." Now that is that attitude we need. I've also been digging into Philippians with my mentor just a little bit and Paul just keeps coming back to the theme of rejoicing in the Lord and giving him praise no matter what the circumstances are! This theme keeps coming up in my life. No matter what happens, no matter what the situation is, I will glorify the Lord and bless his name. Okay, so I know this is a petty example and definitely not the same as losing a baby or being beaten and thrown into prison, but I was able to pray this yesterday when I vaulted. Bad comparison, I know. I just want to go to Nationals so bad and everything was looking really good yesterday. I was jumping at a good height, had a great warm up, I was ready. But I had to pray before the meet started that no matter what happened, no matter what the outcome of the meet was, I was going to bless the Lord's name.

The meet didn't go quite as hoped. I cleared 11'8, but not 12'1 like I was hoping. It was a little disappointing, but at the same time, I have nothing to complain about. I vaulted well and had some good attempts at 12'1. It just didn't all come together. But the Lord still gets the glory! It is still through him and his strength that I am able to pole vault. I will still bless his name! He is still my king and my savior, so I have nothing to be disappointed in! He knows what this next week will bring, and no matter what happens, I will still bless his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment