Saturday, January 15, 2011

...because God is THAT cool!

So while I was on this crazy road trip, Lisa and I met TONS of new people. And when you meet someone new, they ask you your name and where you're from. Well, I know my name. But when it comes to where I am from, I'm never quite sure what to say. Do I say Charlottesville because that's where I grew up? I don't live there anymore and honestly, don't really have any consistent ties there either. I no longer consider it home. But, then if we're talking "where do you consider home?" thats a completely different question. The place I feel most at home: is actually Lake Champion. Kinda weird, but so true. Once I get on that property there is this huge sigh of relief that I'm home and where everything makes sense. But a camp? That's not really where I'm from. It's not even home, even though it feels like it. While I was at Calvin, I refused to say that I was from Michigan. I am NOT from Michigan. I love the people of Grand Rapids, but those are not my roots. Norfolk was starting to feel like home, but now there aren't any ties there anymore. My typical response became "Virginia." "Where are you from?" "I'm from Virginia." Virginia is home. I don't know where in Virginia, but I so love that state! Perfect weather, mountains, lakes and beaches; it's got it all. I love identifying myself with Virginia. But then people would say, "oh yeah, where in Virginia?" My quick and easy response, "I grew up in Charlottesville, but now my parents live in Norfolk." Once my parents moved to NYC I wasn't sure how to respond. I typically would either just say "Virginia" or, "I grew up in Charlottesville." And then if asked would explain that I went to school in Michigan, my parents moved twice while I was in college and are now living in NYC. Which would always get an interesting response.

But on this road trip, I had no idea how to respond. I was living no where. I was living wherever we were in our trip. I left Chicago on Dec. 10th and our road trip ended Jan. 12th. I lived out of a suitcase for a month, just traveling around. It was awesome! I loved it for sure, but never knew how to answer the many questions when you first meet someone. Like, "where are you from?" "So what are you up to now?" "So where do you live?" "what do you mean you don't live anywhere?" I think I told a couple people I was homeless. Granted, I'm not really, and I explained, but throughout the whole road trip, I had no idea what was going to happen, come Jan. 12th. I have been praying and praying about where God wants me. I want to be close to family, but thats just a preference. I just want to be where God wants me. I'm not tied down, I can go anywhere. It really doesn't matter to me. I had lots of offers, lots of options, and it basically came down to either NYC with my parents or Richmond with my brother, sister in law and two nephews. Both places I would be crashing on the couch. Originally I didn't think Richmond would be an option, but my brother offered before Christmas, so that was on the table now.

Leaving the beach with my family to start Lisa and my road trip, I had no idea where I was going to be. I had looked at nanny jobs in NYC and teaching jobs in Richmond. Had applied for a few jobs in Richmond and hadn't heard from any of them, but it was still the holiday season. I have been praying about this next season for probably close to a year. And it was kind of the thing that I was bringing to Passion to really pray about and hope that the Lord called me somewhere. I was continuing to make Richmond connections, as well as NYC and even new connections of places I could go. Like thinking about even Charlottesville, or helping out with Young Life in the Virgin Islands, or being near Janelle in Orlando. The possibilities are endless. I just want to be where God wants me.

I had talked to J.J. (my brother) about living with him and Katie. I was thinking that was where I wanted to be, but still didn't feel like I got a huge thumbs up from God. The craziest thing through all of this, over the past year, is that the Lord has poured out his peace on me like I've never experienced before. None of it has been stressful. I haven't been freaking out. I've actually been LOVING it! I love the idea of the unknown. I love knowing that the Lord knows exactly where he wants me and that his plan is by far the best plan I could ever imagine! I've been loving the adventure of not knowing, but knowing whatever it is, it will be amazing. A huge thing I learned at Passion, is that it really doesn't matter where I am. As long as I go there with the Gospel, God is going to use me. It doesn't matter where I am, as long as I have the right equipment.

So while we were in Orlando, JJ called and wanted to confirm that I would be living with them. I wasn't really ready to make the commitment to it, cause I still didn't know what the Lord was doing, but I knew they needed to know, and I felt like I needed to start walking in a direction. So I told them that was the plan, it could change, but that's what we were going to count on. I just said to the Lord, "okay, God, I'm going to start walking, I'm going to walk in this direction, please open and close the right doors." I didn't know what the Lord wanted me to do, and I don't think he calls us to wait around for a huge sign telling us which way to go. So I just started walking and left my hands open. We made a plan to go get my stuff in New Jersey and I was going to be crashing on the couch until I found a job, a car and a place to settle.

On Tuesday, as Lisa and I were in the car driving to Georgia I got a call from a number I didn't know. It was an 804 number, which is Richmond. I thought maybe this was a job prospect and answered. I was right. It was a principal and she wanted to interview me! I set up an interview for Thursday morning. Okay so a couple things. One, this job dropped out of nowhere! God is awesome. I applied to a ton of schools and positions, so didn't even know which one it was. I was going to have to do research once we got to James' house. Two, I have no idea what I was thinking in setting up an interview for 9am on Thursday morning. Lisa and I were planning on getting in late Wednesday night, so I wasn't going to have time to prepare much. I haven't done a lot of interviewing and I needed to do some research about the school. Oh yeah, and you know how I was living out of a suitcase for the last month? I did NOT have ANY interview clothes with me. All I had was jeans! Lisa said she had a pair of pants I could try, or maybe I was just gonna go shopping.

So that night at James' house I tried to research the school. The website had a letter from the principal for the 2004-2005 school year and the principal had changed since then. So I really didn't find anything out about the school. I did find out though that it was a Henrico County Public School and not a Richmond City Public School. So this was a HUGE shock to me, cause I didn't even know I applied for this job! It's kind of long and complicated, but I didn't finish the paperwork and so didn't know I applied for the job. Crazy! But seriously, it just makes me think about how COOL God is! I don't know what I'm doing, this interview comes out of nowhere, with great timing (I didn't even waste a day!) and I didn't even know I applied for the job! Talk about God plopping a huge plate right in front of me, spoon feeding me, and even chewing for me! Okay, weird analogy, but really, I didn't do ANYTHING!

The interview went well. I think. It's hard to know. It's kind of another whole story, and this is long, so that will have to come later. Moral of the story: God is awesome, totally in control, and knows what he's doing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment