Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Welcome to Chi-town!

A camp post will be coming. One about the theme of lessons for the summer, but for now, we'll move on to my new chapter of life.

I got to spend a few days in Virginia with the absolute cutest nephews in the entire world! And then I was off to CHICAGO!


Love these little guys!


This is what you get when you say, "Jack, say 'cheese!'"


Of course Jack didn't like me the whole time I was there...until I was at the train station leaving...
I told him he better remember me at Thanksgiving :)

I took a 24 hour trip from Richmond to Chicago. It was a really long train ride, but I survived. I tried to pack as light as I possibly could. I was able to carry everything I brought for the semester. I have to say, I was quite impressed with myself. But just for the record, I would not recommend this. Even though everything fit into my bags, they were still extremely heavy. I had a carry-on sized suitcase on my back, a medium sized suitcase with my laptop bag on top and pillow on top of that in one hand, and a large suitcase that almost became the death of me in the other hand.



I thought I could check my bags once I got to D.C. Well apparently you can only check bags that weigh less than 50 lbs. Those are the bags I wouldn't have minded holding onto, I just wanted to get rid of the big bag. But, they wouldn't let me. So I had a three hour layover in D.C. and was sweating and in a lot of pain carrying around my suitcase, laptop bag and pillow. I'm gonna guess it was at least 150 pounds all together. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it, but I survived. I ended up getting some lunch and camping out at a cafe, cooling down and catching up with a dear friend. The time flew by.

Now, I'm here and I'm alive! There were many times on the train and in my first two days of being here that I just look around and ask God, "what am I doing here? and how did I get here?" I'm living in Chicago. I've never been to Chicago before. I'm here, getting thrown into a brand new city, a big city, and am doing it with 60 other people, most of whom I don't know. Crazy. The first two days seemed like chaos. So much being thrown at me, so much going on with finding housing and roommates and stuff, it was pretty overwhelming. But at the same time, I had this peace. I know this is where I'm supposed to be. I don't know why I'm here, but I know this is right. So that is a good feeling.

We got all of our housing stuff figured out yesterday, and that was COMPLETELY by the grace of God. It all worked out perfectly. I'm living in a four bedroom apartment, yes, four bedroom, with three other girls. Yes, that means I have my own room! I've only had my own room for like 3 years of my life! I'm so excited! And this is so crazy because coming into it, I was planning on sharing a one bedroom apartment with two other girls. My living situation is super sweet! I'm so thankful it all worked out and the Lord totally gets all the glory!

I head to my school tomorrow to meet my teacher. Student's don't start until Tuesday, but I'm gonna be going in on Thursday and Friday, but I'm not really sure what its going to look like. I went to the school today, I didn't go inside, but I wanted to make sure I knew how to get there. Its a bit of a commute, but could be worse. I thought it was going to be an hour and half, which is what it said when I looked it up, but it should only be 45 to 50 minutes. I'm anxious to meet my teacher and I just keep praying things work out. I'm in a third grade classroom and am definitely excited to get started. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment