Monday, September 27, 2010

My Constant

So, recently I've realized, that I'm someone who hates to pass up an opportunity. I'm not tied down to anyone or anything enough to say no when an opportunity arises. I love the adventure of something new and when opportunities I like arrive, I tend to be a "go-getter." Leaving things behind and going into complete unknown places without anyone I know, is exciting. I like the thrill of it. I love thinking about meeting new people and hearing their stories, I love investing in relationships and going on adventures. Seizing an opportunity is basically how I ended up here. And interning at Champion. And going to Calvin. The last four years have been a result of jumping on board when God told me to go. Maybe it was even the fact that my parents moved. I didn't have the familiarity to go back to anyway. The Lord has been pushing me in new directions and has been filling me with his joy in these journeys. They've been hard, but so much fun!

There are many moments though, especially at the beginning of a new adventure, that I want to turn around and go back. The thrill and excitement start to fade as I settle in to a new place and realize that I am completely surrounded by unknowns. As fun as meeting new people is, it's a ton of work. And in this, I miss my friends. A lot. Just having someone know me like my friends do, not having to explain myself in certain situations. This hit me last weekend. I was just really missing people. It was like I wanted to "go back home," but I didn't know where home was. I wanted to be back at camp, but none of my friends are there anymore. I wanted to be back at Calvin, and granted most of my close friends are still around there, we've graduated, so things are different. And in all of this I realized that every single one of my close friendships is a long distance relationship. Every single one. And they always will be. That's what Young Life camp does to you. And going to school a million miles from what was once home. At camp you meet the most amazing people in the world, become great friends, and then they get spread all across the country. Or even world. Not gonna lie, it pretty much stinks. Everything is over the phone or computer. There's just this longing for that rich fellowship. I just miss them a lot. But God has been teaching me in these times.

It has been so great to realize that God is my constant. He is literally my only constant, but he is by far the best constant to have. As I move from place to place and have to start relationships all over, while still trying to keep the old ones too, my relationship with the Lord does not change. I don't have to start over. He doesn't live at camp and I had to say bye to him. He's been on all of my journey's with me. He knows the depths of my soul. He never leaves my side. He is my comfort and my source of strength. I couldn't do any of it without him. What a blessing that I don't have to! I never have to say bye to my best friend. How amazing.

Plus...having friends all over the country...means...ROAD TRIP! We'll see if it happens, but I'm hoping to spend a semester driving around visiting all of my dear dear friends, wherever they are. Epic road trip number one is already happening! Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. ::ah:: I can so identify. I love your perspective.

    Isn't communion with the Lord sweet? It's like He says, "Come over here. Just Me and you. I am jealous for your heart."

    It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete