Friday, July 3, 2009

Catch-Up

Wow...it has been WAY too long. I have so much to catch up on. So many things I have stored in my head that I want to talk about, and they may not all come out. I'll start with two weeks back, bible study.

The interns all have Bible study and the night off together on day 5. I love it. It's my favorite night. It's the only time in the week that everyone is together. Two weeks ago, instead of going doing Bible study we got to go on an intern outing. It was so much fun! We went over to lighthouse (where a bunch of property people live) and we shot a bunch of Kyle's guns. We first shot skeet, then a hand gun and some other gun that was really loud. It was a new experience for most of us and it was just so awesome to all be together.
Lisa, Krissa and Me!
Kyle teaching me how to shoot the hand gun

This one was really loud and had a really big backfire

After shooting we went to The Corner which isn't too far and all got ice cream. It was super fun and I enjoyed every minute of it.
There is so much to catch up on, I don't even know where to begin. All my days and weeks have gotten mixed up and out of order. We had a switch-over day. Our First session assignment team, summer staff and work crew left and our second session came. We had everyone pass their boat test and lifeguard certification, which is awesome. We have 2 guys and 6 girls on waterfront. We have a really awesome group of people. They are really hard workers and we all share a passion in getting deeper in our relationships with the Lord. We have a really great group, but it's still been hard. We are short a person, which gives Lisa and I twice as much work during the day. This entire work crew and summer staff session is short. There are a bunch of people who backed out at the last minute, or just didn't show up. So it's been really hard on everyone.

Being a person short on the waterfront means that we don't have a floater, which is someone who goes around and checks on everyone, gives bathroom breaks, and does any extra jobs we have, like making sure tubes are blown up and cleaning filters, and things like that. So Lisa and I now have to do all that on top of everything else. It hasn't been too bad, it's just a lot. The hardest part is doing rotations because we get stuck in a lifeguard chair for an hour, but so far we've made it work out.
And now, there is another little issue. We now have a waterfront girl who is going home. I think for a combination of reasons, but none the less we will be down another person. And this is where we get into a little bit of an issue. We have to have 8 people to run the waterfront. So what are we going to do? Not sure yet.

The awesome thing is that I'm not stressing about it. It is totally out of my hands and God has given me so much peace. My concern is just for the campers. We may have to have certain parts of the waterfront open at certain times of the day because we can't open them all at once, which would really stink. That would just be annoying for the campers and I really don't want this to affect them at all. We've been looking and calling for backups, and I'm not sure how that has been going yet, but if you know anyone who would like to come serve for two or two and half weeks, please let me know!

I've done so many fun things in the last two weeks, lots of them small, but just fun things.

My mentor for the summer is Melissa. She is Chad's (the camp manager) wife. They live on camp and have four kids. Hannah, Luke and Caleb who are twins and then Micah. They are awesome. I've had so much fun getting to know Melissa and hanging out with her and her family is so great as well. Last week I went over for family dinner with them and it was so much fun! I love being in the craziness of a four child household. We had dinner and then we played wii bowling. It was so much fun. They're such a great family and I'm so glad Melissa and I were placed together. They're like my Lake Champion family. I love that everywhere I go, God places me in a family, even if it's not my own.

The other day I went with their family and some other people from camp to see the town fireworks. It was really fun and really cold. The fireworks were a little interesting. There would be about 5 fireworks, and then a 2 minute wait, then another 5 fireworks and another 2 minute delay. We ended up leaving early, but it was still really fun.
Here are all the kids who went to see fireworks!
Me and Micah! He is so stinkin cute!

One really special thing I got to do last week was on the waterfront. Last week we had a camper, Aaron, who had some physical disabilities. I'm not sure what it was, but he was in a wheelchair most of them time. He was really awesome and wanted to make sure he experienced everything at camp. One day he went on the zip-line, another day he went through the whole ropes course, with the help of Kyle and Bob and then one day he tubed and blobbed. We got out the big three person tube that we use for younglives and Aaron, his dad and friend all tubed. And I got the awesome privilege of driving them! It was so much fun. Aaron's leader, Caleb, spotted for them and the whole time Aaron was telling me to go faster. Caleb was telling me that he was really tough and a thrill seeker, so I gave them as good of a ride as I could, I didn't hold back. It was so much fun! We then helped Aaron blob, which was also awesome. It was so much fun to see him experience camp.

Those are just some of the really cool things that have happened recently. I will try really hard to keep you updated. Things have just been hard being a man down and my schedule has gotten a lot crazier.

No comments:

Post a Comment