Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sweet Time

Thursday night I hung out with Melissa, my mentor. She is awesome and I love hanging out with her. We went into Port Jervis and sat outside an ice cream shop for a while and just talked. We've just been getting to know each other better and it's been a lot of fun. We drove back here at camp and the twenty minutes was just about to start. This is something that we do for the campers. We send them out during club and we give them twenty minutes by themselves to talk to God. We turn off all the lights around camp and it's an awesome opportunity for the campers to just talk to God. For a lot of them it is their first time, or when they decide that they want to follow Christ. So Melissa and I sat in the car and prayed during that time. We had had some great conversations about prayer and prayer is continuing to be a theme in my life. I am so curious and eager to learn more and more about prayer and the power it has. It was great to spend an extended time of prayer with someone.

I had mentioned to Melissa as well that I had really been wanting to do prayer and worship times with the interns. We have Bible study once a week, but I need something more than that and I really believe it is something that will grow us closer to one another and to the Lord. I had been thinking about it for a while, but hadn't mentioned anything to anyone. She really encouraged me to step forward and say something and that a lot of the time it just takes one person saying something and it makes the world of difference. So she told me she was going to hold me accountable to it and that next time we hang out she is going to ask me about it. Accountability is so good, hard sometimes, but so good.

Friday I had off. It was a really chill day, kind of boring, but it was good. I pretty much just hung out for most of the day. A bunch of interns were gone, only like four of us were around. Brittany and I went fishing. We caught a ton of seaweed, but no fish. It was an awesome time to just hang out and be real with one another though. I've had some really great conversations with her and I've really enjoyed getting to know her better. While we were talking I mentioned the whole prayer and worship idea to her and she thought people would want to do it. I had a lot of fun just hanging out with her and talking about our relationships with the Lord and what we've learned since we've been here.

Yesterday was a good day. Day one, week six. New campers arrived and the rain held out until dinner, which was awesome. I ran back from dinner in the pouring rain, changed, and then had a little worship and prayer time with a small group of interns. It was so good. So necessary, and so filling. In the busyness of it all, we sometimes loose track of why we're here and when we pray and worship together, we get refocused. We then just talked. We shared ways we had seen the Lord in the past couple days, and Brittany shared her testimony. It was just an awesome, sweet time. Those kinds of hang out nights are by far my favorite. I would so much rather pray and share than sit down and watch a movie together. It was one of my favorite nights so far.

Today was a great day as well. Nothing too exciting happened. It was sunny all day! That is great news. There wasn't a single cloud in the sky! It was great. We also got a new person on waterfront yesterday. His name is Donald, and he is awesome. He is a really hard worker and has had an amazing attitude about having to leave bikes and join the waterfront. It's only been two days and I can already tell that he is a great addition to our group. He is already helping us build unity and strive for fellowship with one another.

I'm planning on going to entertainment night tonight, where the leaders do funny skits for the campers, and then heading to bed. I have a long day tomorrow because I run the morning event, but it should be a good one.

Please pray for the campers, that their hearts would be open and they would be willing to receive the amazing gift Christ offers them. Please pray for the leaders, that they would seek the Lord in their leadership and would set an awesome example for their campers. Please pray that the waterfront would grow closer together and Lisa and I would lead them well. Please pray for strength and rest for me. Thank you so much for praying! Love you all!

1 comment: