Monday, July 20, 2009

A Day of Complete Chaos

Talk about a crazy day! Not only were Lisa and Bob both not here, but there were so many unexpected bumps and turns along the way. I had to do the morning set up on my own, which is harder, but not impossible. I wanted to see how fast I could do it, cause once I finish, I'm done until breakfast. Last time I finished everything with an hour left, I was hoping to have an hour and a half so I could spend some time with the Lord and then take a nap.

Quiet time and a nap both didn't happen. As I was testing chemicals in the hot tub, one of my summer staffers called me over and said that the wakeboarding rope got sucked up in the engine. Unexpected situation number one. So, I called Guest Services on the radio and Scott went to go get the trailer to pull the boat out of the water. I got the other boat and towed the broken one in. We got the boat out, got the rope out and I went to dock the boat. As I was pulling away from the trailer I heard a funny noise. It sounded like change dropped off the boat. I stopped, looked behind me, didn't see anything, and just figured it was the tractor and trailer because Scott was pulling them away. I dock the boat and Scott comes back. He's looking around and says to me that he thinks something bad just happened. His keys and radio were on the back of the boat, and were now in the water. Unexpected situation number two. I had an awesome summer staff girl get her bathing suit on and go look for them. It was a lost cause. We looked for a while, but didn't find them. I hate defeat.

So then, it was about 10 minutes before breakfast, I still hadn't taken the lost and found back, never finished the hot tub chemicals, had to take canoe breakfast stuff back to the kitchen, needed to take the trash to the dumpster and jet boat dock the other boat. Mad chaos. Somehow most things got done, but I was late to breakfast. I ate as fast as I could (which, granted isn't all that fast) and then had to set things up for the morning event. Today was my event, so I have to set it up, help the summer staff and make sure things run smoothly. Due to some miscommunication and exhaustion, it was 11 o'clock, when our event was supposed to start and not even half of the summer staffers were there. About six of them (who are amazingly awesome) helped Derrick and I get everything and set everything up. It was crazy. They're supposed to be there at 10:30, and people rolled in after 11. Unexpected situation number three.

So after the Spartan games (my event) the waterfront was open. Kyle was driving and I was taking care of things on land, when all of a sudden over the radio, I hear "This is a drill, code grey, this is a drill, code grey." Code grey is our "terrorist on camp" code. Taken very seriously. Unexpected situation number four. I got the air horn, blew it five times, which means it's an emergency, and all campers have to report to the club room as quickly as possible. Chaos. We had to get every person in the club room and account for every single person on camp. It's a drill we have to do once a summer, and it is random. No one knows when it will happen at all, not even the property staff. Overall, I heard it went smoothly, so that was good. Lunch then got pushed back and we opened the waterfront up again. Kyle wasn't able to drive anymore, which Mikey (my intern from last year who is here leading) noticed and went to get on the boat, as I was asking Paige to take Waileen's job so she could go drive. The tube rope then snapped and we had to replace it. No big deal, just the craziness of the day. Then we had lunch.

Really. It was crazy. Utter chaos, but then things turned around for the most part. No more unexpected situations, just normal waterfront tasks. It was a shorter day, which is nice, but we do have to work tonight. I'm about to go take a nap so I can survive staying up tonight and doing the morning on my own again.

The awesome thing about all of this though, is that God is so faithful! It was crazy, and stressful, and things didn't go the way they were supposed to at all, but it was okay. I was okay. The Lord showed me so much grace. I didn't freak out, I didn't go crazy, I just took it as it came and tried to deal with it. There is no way I could have done it on my own. It was all God. He gave me so much patience and so much grace. He is quite an awesome God. I am continually blown away. I felt his shalom in the midst of the chaos.

1 comment:

  1. ROOMIE!
    I miss you so very much, and I am praying for you loads and loads. I looooooooove you.
    - elizabeth

    ReplyDelete